Things you should never say to an artist...

Lavender & poppies - watercolor on canvas by Kathy Johnson

A little humor from the art world - they'll bring a smile or a grimace to your face.  I've overheard many of these gems over the years.
  1. Does this [painting] come in blue?  (These are not socks you're buying....they are one-of-a-kind paintings - I was asked this just a week ago.)
  2. How long did it take you to make that?  (Since birth)
  3. My kid could do that.  (So where is this kid....cutting a deal with Sotheby's?)
  4. I wish I could do that, but I can't draw a straight line.  (Neither can I -- I use a ruler.)
  5. That must be really fun to do.  (Yes it is....if you like poverty, rejection and working with potentially hazardous materials.)
  6. Did someone make that?  (No, it just fell to earth.)
  7. Why is your work so expensive?  (Because it takes a long time to make!  Do you feel the need to be monetarily compensated for what you do?  Me, too.  One artist was overheard to have replied to this question by saying, "Quality isn't for everyone."  I wish I had the nerve to say that.)
  8. I would like something to go over my sofa.  Could you do something in mauve, puce and teal?  (No, go buy a new sofa.  My art will last ten times longer than a new sofa.)
  9. It's perfect, I love it, but I'll have to talk to my decorator first.  (Does he or she hold your hand through all of life's big decisions???)

Comments