How to create a painting - from scribbles to paint.

Click here to see a short video Dahlia Garden  

I usually start with a very small thumbnail sketch - it is REALLY small - maybe 2" square - and more of a scribble.  Small sketches like this help an artist figure out composition, value & color.
Then a more complete drawing is done and transferred to watercolor paper.
In the example I'm showing here, I painted a 'resist' liquid on those areas that needed to remain white (or protected) while I did background color washes.
Once the background was complete, I removed the resist and could paint those items (barn & flowers) that were directly painted against the background.
Gradually the brightest flowers were painted and then on to filling in the foliage, adjusting values along the way.
This painting was a commissioned piece of someone's very large dahlia garden south of Seattle.

Comments

layers said…
Hi Kathy. thanks for stopping by my blog. I also think it is a good idea to start off with a small thumbnail sketch... and then how one moves forward to the painting is different for everyone.
congrats on your commission, I hope it went well.